The first Heidelberg bridge was built by Karl Theodor (1742-1799), which explains it's official name "Karl-Theodor-Brücke". Altogether, the bridge was rebuilt 9 times; more than likely victim of flooding. In 1788, it was finally rebuilt completely in stone and supported by 8 posts. The double-armed bridge gate comes from the late middle ages. The towers served the bridge keeper not only as an apartment, but also as a dungeon for prisoners. In 1945 both rooms above the gateway were refurbished as artistic apartments.
Numerous statues adorn the north and south sides of the bridge. For example, in the south is a standing portrait of the baroque baron surrounded by the river gods of the Rhine, Donau, Neckar and Mosel rivers. In the north, Karl Theodor is brought in connection with Paellas Athenae. The 3 female figures at the foot of the bridge personify piety, justice, agriculture and trade. Another statue, the "Brückenaff" (or bridge ape) is the favorite animal of the Heidelberger.