The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, also known as the Saint Louis Cathedral or the New Cathedral, was completed in 1914 in St. Louis, Missouri, as the archdiocesan replacement for the Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France. Although workers began clearing ground for the building on May 1, 1907, dedication of the Cathedral and its first mass did not take place until October 18, 1914, when the superstructure was complete. Consecration of the church took place more than a decade later on June 29, 1926. The Cathedral was designated a basilica by Pope John Paul II on April 4, 1997. The church is known for its large mosaic installation (which is the largest in the world), burial crypts, and the addition of an outdoor sculpture to promote racial harmony.