Igreja de São Domingos (Santa Justa)
To the right of the National Theater, east of Rossio, is the Church of São Domingos, that is either blessed or cursed, having survived fires and earthquakes.
Prior to the Great Earthquake of 1755 this was where the São Domingos Convent stood, from which the Inquisition read out its sentences. In 1950 it was partially destroyed by a fire and has since undergone restoration, but there are still clear signs of the fire (the permeating smell and the scorched pillars).
Worthy of note is the high altar, with red marble columns that support the sculptural composition of the Holy Trinity.
Another outstanding feature is the sacristy, which for many years held the remains of King Afonso III, until they were moved to Alcobaça.
The African community clusters in the area because this church has had a black priest, while many other locals visit a popular hole-in-the-wall bar almost immediately in front of the church for a glass of ginginha, a local syrupy cherry brandy liqueur.