Marksburg Castle - Die Marksburg
The castle was built to protect the town of Braubach and to reinforce the customs facilities. It was built around 1117 and explicitly first mentioned in 1231. In 1283 Count Eberhard of Katzenelnbogen bought it and throughout the 14th and 15th century the high noble Counts rebuilt the castle constantly. In 1479 the territories of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen (male line extinct) went to the Count of Hessen.