Frederick Douglass Bridge
The Yards Park - Washington DC Navy Yard.
The Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge, otherwise known as the South Capitol Street Bridge, is a swing bridge that carries South Capitol Street over the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C. It was constructed in 1950 and named after abolitionist Frederick Douglass. In 2007 the bridge was used by 77,000 daily commuters.
The bridge connects at its southern terminus with Interstate 295 and the Suitland Parkway and thus provides access to downtown from those routes as well as from South Capitol Street and roads connecting to it. As a result, the bridge carries commuter traffic from Prince George's County, Maryland and from Southern Maryland. The bridge is part of the National Highway System, as are South Capitol Street north of the bridge and the Suitland Parkway. Major re-decking work was done to the bridge in 1974 and again in 1988.